Everyday life in Seinäjoki

What to do in Seinäjoki? How to move around? Should I open a bank account in Finland? Here you can find answers to questions about practical matters.

Freetime in Seinäjoki

Seinäjoki has a population of 65,000 people and it is known e.g. for its summer events. Seinäjoki is known as the regional centre of South Ostrobothnia. Investments in education and future development have opened new horizons for the whole region.

On the links below, you can find more information about life and events in Seinäjoki.

Did you know this about Finland?

  • In Finland, most supermarkets and stores are open on Sundays
  • Every supermarket and shop has its own opening hours 
  • Medicines are sold only at pharmacies (apteekki) 
  • Wines and spirits are sold only in Alko, the State Alcohol Company
  • The age limit for the purchase of beer and wine in Finland is 18, but stronger drinks may be purchased only if the buyer is at least 20 years old.
  • Smoking in public places is prohibited by law unless there is a very well-indicated smoking area.
  • The age limit for buying cigarettes in Finland is 18.
  • It is against the law to possess, use or deal drugs. All three are police matters and may result to serious legal consequences.

Bank accounts

International students should open up a bank account in one of the Finnish banks. When having a Finnish bank account, you can pay the rent and other possible costs related to living and studying in Finland. When you open up a bank account in Finland, you should ask for internet banking service keys which enable you to use banking services online. Also, the bank will usually give at least a Visa electron card to students opening up a bank account. You may use it for paying, checking your balance and withdrawing money from ATMs.

Major credit cards are accepted in Finland. It is even advisable to take a Visa or Master Card with you if possible. Please note that checks are not accepted in Finland. Information about banks in Finland is given on the website of Expat Finland.

Accepted students will receive more information in their acceptance email about opening the bank account.

Moving around

It is easy to move around Seinäjoki on foot or by bike. Many students use bikes to move around the city throughout the year. If you do not want to buy your own bike, you may enquire a possibility to rent one from a bike shop.

A good public transportation system with quite an extensive bus network is also available in Seinäjoki. Routes, timetable and other useful information about the local bus transportation is available at the website of the city’s public transport. Below you can find useful links for long-distance travelling.

Are you going to take your car to Seinäjoki?

Here are some facts about driving in Finland:

  • Headlights must be used even during the day.
  • Wearing seatbelts is compulsory both in front and back seats.
  • Snow tyres are compulsory in Finland from the beginning of November to the end of March if required by the weather conditions. However, studded tires may be used even longer if weather conditions require it.
  • Driving under the influence of alcohol is strictly forbidden in Finland.


For more information on driving in Finland, please visit e.g. the website of the Finnish Ministry of Transport and Communications.

The Finnish Road Safety Council also has instructions for driving in Finland available on their website.

Health care

YTHS or FSHS (The Finnish Student Health Service) maintains a health centre in every city with a university and provides health and dental care for students enrolled at universities and other institutions of higher education. YTHS provides students with preventive health care, medical care, mental health care and dental health care. All Master’s degree students enrolled at the University are entitled to use the services of the YTHS, and they must therefore pay the health care contribution to Kela upon the start of their studies. YTHS services are either free of charge or reasonably priced. Hospital treatment, maternity clinic or night and weekend emergency services are not included in the YTHS services.

YTHS has an office in Seinäjoki at Simunantie 10. 

Note, that students from other EU or EEA countries have to provide a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) when accessing YTHS services! More information on YTHS website.

Acute illnesses

Acute illnesses requiring immediate medical care can be treated in YTHS during weekdays. You can book an appointment for a public health nurse. Remember to take your student card with you. An appointment to see the doctor can be made by the nurse, if necessary.

Should you need immediate care outside the opening hours of YTHS in Seinäjoki, please contact private clinics.

In case of serious illnesses or accidents and if you need care after 16.00 o'clock, please contact the Emergency Services.

In case of accidents or when you need help urgently, please call the general emergency number 112.


All international students coming to Finland are recommended to be covered by a valid medical insurance. For the citizens of non-EU/EEA countries, it is obligatory to take out a private health insurance covering the entire period of stay in Finland. Insurance must be arranged before the arrival in Finland and the insurance certificate is requested when applying for a residence permit.

Citizens of EU and EEA (European Economic Area) countries are covered by the National Health Insurance plan administered by KELA (Finnish Social Insurance Institution). It means that anyone carrying a European Health Insurance Card is entitled to receive all the medically necessary care while in another EU/EEA country or in Switzerland. The treatment is provided subject to the legislation and regulations of each country. The citizens of EU and EEA countries will receive the medical care to which a resident of that country would be entitled. The procedure for getting the treatment and any co-payments charged will also be the same as those that apply to local residents. For more information on entitlements under European Health Insurance Card for temporary visitors in Finland please see the website of KELA.

There are also some private clinics in Seinäjoki, for example MehiläinenPihlajalinna and Terveystalo. Note, however, that should you seek treatment from a private clinic not covered by the local system, you will have to pay all necessary costs yourself. Therefore it is strongly recommended that students coming from EU/EEA countries also take a private insurance since private health care is not covered by KELA and the services may be very expensive in Finland.

The following companies among others offer insurances for international students:

For further information on issues related to the health insurance of foreign students, please visit the Finnish Immigration Services' website.