About the research group
The key approach of the research group is value creation in international business with a focus on effective decision-making, innovative and sustainable strategies, and management in diverse, constantly changing environments. The main research areas and associated key topics are:
1. Internationalization and Globalization of Firms
- International entrepreneurship and internationalization of SMEs
- Business models and internationalisation
- International new ventures (INVs) and born globals (BGs)
- Global sustainable development trends and internationalisation
- International social entrepreneurship
- Internationalization and decision-making logic
- Digitalization of businesses and globalization pathways
2. Foreign Direct Investments
- Determinants and performance outcomes of foreign direct investment (FDI) ownership and establishment mode choice strategies
- Managing international joint ventures (IJVs) and performance
- Determinants and value creation potential of foreign divestment and divestment mode choice
- Drivers of re-locating FDI and subsequent firm value
- Sustainable operations of MNCs' subsidiaries in developing and emerging markets.
3. International Marketing Strategies
- International branding strategies and performance outcomes
- International entrepreneurial marketing and entrepreneurial branding
- Social media in a global world
- International marketing mix and standardization decisions and performance outcomes
- International advertising and cultural values
- International sustainable marketing and bottom-of-the pyramid (BOP) markets
The research areas converge in providing analysis and new knowledge about firm strategies and performance whether in terms of financial results, managerial evaluation of success, value creation for customers, or survival. Research is carried out using both quantitative and qualitative methods, and it is multidisciplinary in nature. The research group has published in several scientific journals and edited books in the field of International Business.
The group has an extended network of partners in international universities and within industry, and produces on average two doctoral dissertations every year. A key event for the group is the biennial Vaasa Conference on International Business, held for the 16th time in August 2021.
We are constantly looking for talented and driven individuals interested in the challenges and opportunities of International Business to join the group as doctoral students and partners. Please read about our research topics and group goals in these pages or contact us directly for more information.
The research group is headed by Professor Peter Gabrielsson.
Professor Jorma Larimo (1954-2022) in memoriam
The memory of Professor Jorma Larimo (1954-2022) can be honoured by writing condolences or by giving a donation. The donated funds will be used to develop the university. In its decisions on how to allocate the donated funds, the university will pay special attention to the continuation of the most significant legacy of Professor Jorma Larimo’s academic life’s work: the integration of postgraduate students and young researchers into the international scientific community.
|Brothers from a different mother? How businesses and public sector organizations develop leadership competencies and change processes for blockchain implementation (BizPub)||-||InnoLab, Technology and Innovations, Management, Marketing and Communication, Networked value systems NeVS, International business and marketing, Human resource management|
|INdoor navigation from CUBesAt TEchnology (INCUBATE)||-||Digital Economy, International business and marketing, Marketing and Communication, Technology and Innovations, Smart electric systems|
|Academy of Finland Project on International Divestment and Relocation Decisions: The Impact on Firm Value||-||International business and marketing, Marketing and Communication|