The University of Vaasa language studies transferring to the University of Jyväskylä
Finnish universities are in the midst of a significant structural reform driven by the strategic profiling of higher education institutions and the strengthening of future competitiveness. The Universities of Vaasa and Jyväskylä are meeting these challenges by preparing to transfer the University of Vaasa’s degree education and research in languages to the University of Jyväskylä. The preparation process has progressed as planned, and the boards of both universities have approved the agreement on transfer of business.
The change will offer opportunities for specialisation
For the University of Vaasa, the agreement provides opportunities for specialisation and significant new investments in research in the chosen core fields.
– This will enable us to offer internationally high-level research and education also in the future, says Rector of the University of Vaasa Jari Kuusisto.
According to the agreement, University of Vaasa’s degree education and research in languages will continue in Jyväskylä as of August 2017. This applies to English, German, the Scandinavian languages (including language immersion), Modern Finnish, and the minor subjects of Russian and French. The operations of the Language Centre will be developed in Vaasa, and it will provide the language studies that belong to degrees in fields other than languages.
– Both universities will strengthen their roles as attractive and important employers in their regions. The University of Vaasa will maintain the volume of its operations, and its staff will focus more clearly on the strength areas of the university, Kuusisto continues.
– The transfer of business will further strengthen the role of applied language studies in Jyväskylä, Rector Matti Manninen states.
The change will be implemented as a transfer of business
The transfer will take effect from 1 August 2017 as a transfer of business. The reform will affect about 700 students and 30 staff members. The staff will be transferred to the University of Jyväskylä with unchanged terms of employment.
– The change will next be prepared together with the staff, student associations and students. The practical implementation will be promoted in thematic working groups, Kuusisto says.
The University of Jyväskylä will offer all language students at the University of Vaasa the opportunity to transfer to Jyväskylä as of the 2017 academic year. The students can also complete their degrees during the transitional period in Vaasa.
– For the staff members arriving from the University of Vaasa, the reform will offer diverse career opportunities within the University of Jyväskylä’s competence areas of language and cultural education and research. Language students will have more opportunities to strengthen their competences and specialise through, for example, minor subject choices, Manninen says, warmly welcoming the students and staff to the University of Jyväskylä.
The cooperation of the two universities will become concrete on 7 November 2016 when representatives from the University of Jyväskylä meet the representatives of the University of Vaasa’s staff and students. The language student associations of Vaasa will visit the University of Jyväskylä for the first time on 11 November 2016.
- This is a good start for our cooperation and joint journey, both rectors state.
Jari Kuusisto, Rector of the University of Vaasa, jari.kuusisto(at)uwasa.fi, 029 449 8291
Matti Manninen, Rector of the University of Jyväskylä, matti.manninen(at)jyu.fi, 040 6800 215