My previous work covers interdisciplinary research in communication law and data protection law/ General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) with keen focus on location data, personal data protection and privacy under EU law.
Currently (from the beginning of 2023), I have started my position as Project Manager working for the Digital Economy platform at the University of Vaasa. Before that (from May 2021 to December 2022), I worked as Assistant Professor in business law and digitalisation. However, the type of my work is mostly the same as previous, i.e., conducting and managing research works independently on data protection issues & influence of GDPR in relation to digital business, expanding research area intersecting data protection law, business law & space law, participating in project proposal writings and funding applications with Digital Economy budget funding. In addition, the tasks include monitoring & updating progresses, coordinating research initiatives on GDPR & digital business and serving as one of the contact persons for that, and presenting the research at events for prospected projects.
Thus, the position combines research and administrative tasks with a flexible and supportive working environment.
I worked as Postdoctoral Researcher at the University of Helsinki. I completed my Doctoral study with the Faculty of Law, University of Helsinki, Finland in December 2018. I received my second Master of Laws degree from the Faculty of Law, University of Turku, Finland in Law and Information Society in August 2015. Before that, I completed my Bachelor of Laws and first Master of Laws degrees in the Faculty of Law, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Doctor of Laws, University of Helsinki, Finland (January 2016 - December 2018), Topic: Location Data, Personal Data Protection and Privacy in Mobile Device Usage: An EU Law Perspective, Date of certificate: 15 February 2019
- Master of International and Comparative Law, University of Turku, Finland (September 2013 - August 2015), Major: Master's Degree Programme in Law and Information Society, Date of certificate: 27 August 2015
- Master of Laws (LL.M.), University of Dhaka (2010 - 2011), Date of certificate: 20 June 2012
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.), University of Dhaka (2005 - 2009), Date of certificate: 2 April 2012
List of Publications
- Bu-Pasha, S., "Legal aspects, public interest, and legitimate interest in processing personal data to operate autonomous buses in the regular transportation system", Security and Privacy, vol. 5, no. 5, June 2022.
- Bu-Pasha, S., "Public Interest and Scientific Research to Process Health and Location Data in relation to the COVID-19 Emergency", Liikejuridiikka, vol. 7, no. 2, 2021.
- Bu-Pasha, S., Kuusniemi, H., "Data Protection and Space: What Challenges will the General Data Protection Regulation Face when Dealing with Space-based Data?", Journal of Data Protection & Privacy, vol. 4, no. 1, 2021.
- Bu-Pasha, S., "The controller's role in determining 'high risk' and data protection impact assessment (DPIA) in developing digital smart city", Information & Communications Technology Law CICT Journal, vol. 29, no. 3, July 2020.
- Bu-Pasha, S., "EU as a Single Digital Society with Relevance to the Socio-Legal Approach", Journal of Data Protection & Privacy, vol. 2, no. 2, December 2018.
- Bu-Pasha, S., "Vulnerabilities in Localization with regard to GNSS and Harmful Radio Interference: International and EU Law Aspects", IEEE Access, vol. 6, February 2018.
- Bu-Pasha, S., "Cross-Border Issues under EU Data Protection Law with regards to Personal Data Protection", Information & Communications Technology Law CICT Journal, vol. 26, no. 3, May 2017.
- Chen, L., Thombre, S., [et al, including Bu-Pasha, S.], "Robustness, Security and Privacy in Location-Based Services for Future IoT: A Survey", IEEE Access, vol. 5, April 2017.
- Kuusniemi, H., Simona Lohan, E., [et al, including Bu-Pasha, S.], "Information Security of Location Estimation - Increasing Trustworthiness", ESA Navitec 2016 conference, December 2016.
- Bu-Pasha, S., Alen-Savikko, A., Makinen, J., Guinness, R., Korpisaari, P., "EU Law Perspectives on Location Data Privacy in Smartphones and Informed Consent for Transparency", European Data Protection Law Review (EDPL) Journal, vol. 2, no. 3, September 2016.
- Korpisaari, P., Vesala, J., Bu-Pasha, S., Brouwer, D. J., Lehtilä, S., Ojajärvi, O. E. & Antikainen, A. K., "Legal Aspects in Developing Smart City Services And Data Ecosystems", Viestintäoikeuden vuosikirja 2020 (Yearbook of Communication Law 2020), June 2021.
- Alen-Savikko, A., Bu-Pasha, S., Himmanen, H., Korpisaari, P., Lehtilä, S., Vesala, J., "Personal Data Protection, Frequency Regulation and Competition Law in the Context of Smart City Infrastructure", Viestintäoikeuden vuosikirja 2019 (Yearbook of Communication Law 2019), June 2020.
- Bu-Pasha, S., "Legal Challenges with Regard to Open Data in the EU and Finland", Viestintäoikeuden vuosikirja 2018 (Yearbook of Communication Law 2018), May 2019.
- Bu-Pasha, S., "Threats to Location Data and Privacy in Location-Based Services", Viestintäoikeuden vuosikirja 2017 (Yearbook of Communication Law 2017), May 2018.
- Bu-Pasha, S., "Location Data, Personal Data Protection and Privacy in Mobile Device Usage: An EU Law Perspective", Doctoral Dissertation, Faculty of Law, University of Helsinki, December 2018.
- Bu-Pasha, S., "Online Freedom of Expression in Bangladesh and Around the World: What type of restrictions could be justified?", Master's Thesis, Faculty of Law, University of Turku, Finland, August 2015.
- September 2021 - Present, Supervising Bachelor's thesis, Business Law, University of Vaasa.
- Spring-summer 2022, Masters thesis supervision and evaluation, Business Law, University of Vaasa.
- March 2022 - May 2022, Teacher, University of Vaasa, Course: Legal Aspcts of Digital Business, For Master's students.
- October 2021 - January 2022, Teaching Instructor, University of Vaasa, Course: Fundamentals of Sustainable Digitalization - Introduction to Regulation, Analytics and Security, Part of the Digital Economy Bachelor module.
- August 2021- Present, Acting as second supervisor of a doctoral dissertation at University of Helsinki.
- October 2020 - November 2020, March 2018 - April 2018, Teaching Instructor, University of Helsinki, Course: Writing Seminar: Information Law, Masters programme in International Business Law.
- March 2020, Masters thesis evaluation, University of Helsinki.
- 3 April 2020, Guest lecturer, Faculty of Law, University of Turku on "Threats to Location Data and Privacy in using Location-Based Services in Smartphones" in Master's course: Informational Privacy and Surveillance Technologies in the Sharing Economy.
Previous Work Experiences
- May 2021 - December 2022, Assistant Professor, Business Law and Digitalisation, University of Vaasa, Finland
- September 2019 - December 2021, Postdoctoral Researcher, Faculty of Law, University of Helsinki (until 16 May 2021 full-time, from 17 May to 31 December 2021 20%)
- January 2016 - December 2018, Doctoral Researcher, Faculty of Law, University of Helsinki, Finland
- July 2015 - October 2015, Research Assistant (Legal), Finnish Geospatial Research Institute, NLS, Finland
- August 2011 - February 2012, Legal & Compliance Lawyer, BRAC, Bangladesh
Personal Research Funding and Grants
- November 2019 - December 2021, Neutral Host Pilot (extension of Nokia Driven LuxTurrim5G Smart City Ecosystem) project, Participated in project proposal writing, received monthly salary for postdoctoral research.
- September 2019 - November 2019, Research grant for post-doctoral research, awarded by Olga ja Kaarle Oskari Laitisen Säätiö on 20 August 2019.
- September 2018 - November 2018, Research grant for doctoral research, awarded by Suomalainen Lakimiesyhdistys on 10 November 2017.
- 27 August 2018, Publication grant for doctoral dissertation, awarded by Olga ja Kaarle Oskari Laitisen Säätiö on 27 August 2018.
- September 2016 - April 2018, INSURE project - Participated in project proposal writing, received monthly salary for doctoral research.
- July 2015 - April 2018, MyGeoTrust project - Received monthly salary for doctoral research.
- June 2016 - August 2016, Gained three-months grant from Henkilötietojen suoja digitalisoituvassa yhteiskunnassaa project to conduct my doctoral research.
Other Academic Activities
- Developing Legal Learning (01.01.2021 - 28.5.2021), University of Eastern Finland.
- "Legal and financial challenges related to blockchain technology and virtual currency", Science Day, University of Vaasa, 22 March 2023.
- "How the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) facilitates and limits the transnational business transactions?", Business Law seminar, University of Vaasa, 18 October 2021.
- "Data Regulation and Privacy Relating to Digital Smart City", Neutral Host Pilot workshop, Aalto University, 27 February 2020.
- "Will data processing involve 'high risk' requiring Data Protection Impact Assessment (DPIA) in initiating digital smart city?", Conference on Oikeustieteen päivät 2019: Digitalization and the Law, Aalto University School of Business, 29 August 2019.
- "Personal Data Protection in Using Mobile Apps", Keynote Speaker, Seminar on Emerging Trends in Mobile Apps Development & Personal Data Protection, The Institution of Engineers - IEB, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 25 June 2019.
- "Localization and Privacy", Seminar on Cybersecurity in Localization, Faculty of Law, University of Helsinki, 25 January 2018.
- "Cross-Border Issues under EU Data Protection Law with regards to Personal Data Privacy", Henkiltietojen suoja digitalisoituvassa yhteiskunnassa, Faculty of Law, University of Helsinki, 16 December 2016.
- "Socio-legal analysis towards technological developments and EU data protection law", Postgraduate seminar in communication law and constitutional law, Faculty of Law, University of Helsinki, 9 December 2016.
- April 2023, Four-day Academic Writing Workshop with Tanvi Mehta, University of Vaasa.
- 22 March 2023, "Why does privacy matter? - a BUGGED panel discussion", Science Day, University of Vaasa.
- November 2022, Reviewed scientific article for the Journal of Law and the Biosciences.
- 9 June 2017, Conference on Law and Digitalization - Rethinking Legal Services, Legal Tech Lab, Faculty of Law, University of Helsinki.
- 9 - 10 November 2016, IAPP European Data Protection Congress 2016 Conference, Brussels, Belgium.
- 3 - 9 September 2016, Summer School of European IP and ICT Law, Reichenau/Rax, Austria.
Affiliations and Memberships
- Member of Suomalainen Lakimiesyhdistys since 2017.
- Enrolled as an Advocate in the Bangladesh Bar Council from 2012.