Internship abroad

Internship abroad provides you with work experience, language skills, intercultural skills, and contacts. Regardless of how you get an internship, both finding the position, the application process, and the internship itself requires considerable initiative and flexibility from you. An internship completed abroad can also be included in your degree.

You can find an internship abroad by yourself or through various internship programmes. Also, these useful links may help you in the search process. Look for organisations and associations that offer internships. Take care to find out about application deadlines!

If you seek for an internship by yourself, do also research on the country where you wish to go. If you find an interesting business or public sector actor, be confident and contact them directly. Send a written application letter and CV to the Head of Personnel or a departmental director of the company or institution in their corporate language or English. Call or send e-mail after a few weeks and make enquires on your chances to get an internship. Larger corporations and associations also often have a web page on internship possibilities.

Issues that you need to take care of before leaving are work and residence permits, and taxation. Further information can be found from EURES at TE Service.

Financing the Internship

Usually employers pay interns a salary. However, internships abroad are often unpaid, or the salary is very small. Because of this, some associations that organize international internships award funding or grants for the internships.

The University of Vaasa may provide funding for an international internship in two ways: either as grant for Erasmus-internship in EU/EEA countres or University internship voucher in Finnish public sector organizations abroad.

Grant for Erasmus internship

In the Erasmus programme there is also the possibility for a specific internship exchange, where the student will work in a European business or organisation for a minimum of 2 months and maximum of 12 months in another EU/EEA country than Finland. Embassies and Consulates of the student's home country and of Finland and institutions dealing directly with EU funding do not apply. Also the students cannot be sent to their home countries. In order to get an Erasmus grant for the training, credits from it must be included into the student's degree and needs to be approved by the student's Faculty before the internship period.

The University of Vaasa does not have any internship positions to offer. The students must be active in finding a suitable position. Positions can be found from the Aarresaari portal or independently by contacting companies or by using services of companies that provide internships (e.g

One can also use different search engines to find places, eg. type "internships in France/UK/ Slovenia" to Google.

Participating students must be registered as attending and should have earned 30ECTS / attended semester. The internship should not affect the expected graduation and completion of the Master's programme in the given two years and the two extra years given to this.

Preferred application deadlines are 15.2, 15.5, 15.8, 15.11 annually. The student should return the application documents by the deadline prior to the start of the internship, but funding can be applied also during or after the internship.

Application Documents and Process

All the necessary documents can be found form the Forms folder under Student exchange.

First the student needs to find a possible internship organisation and position and discuss with the Faculty to see how many ECTS credits one will get for the internship and what one needs to do in order to get the credits into the degree. Then together with the organisation fill out  and sign an Erasmus Training agreement. In the Agreement the tasks done during the internship will have to be explained in detail. After this the person responsible for the credits at the faculty will fill out and sign the agreement.

Signed Training Agreement is delivered to the mobility services by the deadline together with the Erasmus Grant Agreement (filled out by the student, the bolded parts on the first page and the signature).

After the internship you need to provide the mobility services with a copy of your work certificate. To get the internship credits into your degree, you need to consult the Faculty / teacher responsible for internships to check the requirements.

Templates for the application documents can be found in the Forms-folder under Student exchange.


Please note that the grant is not guaranteed, it depends on the amount given by the European Commision to the University and the number of applicants. The amount of the grant depends on the financial situation of the University and the number of internships supported.

Academic year 2018/19 the monthly grant to the more expensive countries defined by Commision (Denmark, Iceland, Ireland, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden, United Kingdom) was 540 EUR / month and to the cheaper countires  (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria Croatia, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia)  480 EUR /month.

In addition Erasmus programme supports the mobility of people with special needs having physical and/or mental conditions that would prohibit their participation without additional funding. Also participants with underaged children are eligible for additional funding. More information from the mobility services.

You cannot apply for Erasmus funding if you get some other financial support from the University. Bachelor students doing both a Bachelor and Master degree can receive Erasmus funding once during Bachelor an once during Master. Students who only do Master degree can receive Erasmus funding once.



Please note also that you cannot graduate during the internship. Also the student should make an employment contract /internship contract with the organisation in accordance with the legislation of that country and find out about working visas and insurance policies. With your Finnish residende permit you can stay in another Schengen country for only 90days, after that you need a residence permit of that particular country and the host organisation should help you to acquire this.

According to the Erasmus-rules the student must have valid sickness, occupational accident and liability insurances during the intership. The student must agree on these either with the host organisation or acquire them from own insurance company. The University has an occupational accident insurance only for internships without pay, the other insurances the student must acquire as mentioned above.

As a mandatory part of the Erasmus-programme you will need to do a mandaroty OLS language test before and after the exchange, link is sent to your e-mail automatically after the grant e-mail.

After the internship you need to provide us with a copy of your work certificate or page three of the training agreement. You will also get a link to your e-mail containing Commision's own questinnaire about your internship. You also need to do the OLS language test after the exchange.

To get the internship credits into your degree, you need to consult the Faculty / teacher responsible for internships to check the requirements.

Funding for international internships outside of the EU-countries or at institutions not eligible in the Erasmus programme, please consult the Travel grant at the University of Vaasa.

Travel grant at the University of Vaasa

Travel grant

For an internship abroad, it is possible to apply for a travel grant awarded by the University of Vaasa up to a maximum of 1000 euros. The travel grant is intended for travel expenses of internship. Basic degree students (Bachelor, Master) of the University of Vaasa who have registered as present are eligible to apply for a travel grant. There are five annual travel grants.

The travel grant is a one-time compensation, the amount of which is determined by the student’s travel cost estimation. A travel grant may not be granted to cover the full cost of travel, but may also be part of the total cost of the trip. Travel grants are not granted retrospectively. If the internship for which the grant is awarded is canceled or interrupted or the internship period is changed, it must be immediately notified to the career service and the awarded grant must be returned.

A travel grant will not be awarded if the student's internship is organized by the National Agency for Education, if the internship is an Erasmus placement or if the student has an internship voucher issued by the University of Vaasa or the student receives another grant. Also, a foreign student's internship taking place in his/her home country is not eligible for a travel grant.


  • A travel grant is awarded for a period of internship abroad which lasts at least three months.
  • At the time of the application, the student must have at least 160 credits in the study register or be a Master's degree student at the University of Vaasa.
  • The student must include the internship to his/her degree at the University of Vaasa.
  • The student completes his/her Master's degree after the internship.
  • The University of Vaasa pays the travel grant to the student’s informed account.
  • The student is allowed to use the grant only for travel expenses of the internship.
  • If the internship for which the grant is awarded is canceled or interrupted or the internship period is changed, it must be immediately notified to the career service and the awarded grant must be returned.
  • The student him/herself takes care of the necessary insurances.
  • At the latest two months after the end of the internship the student must deliver a copy of the certificate of employment or a 1–2-page informal internship report and travel receipts to the Career Services.
  • If the above mentioned requirements are not met, the grant may be recovered.


You can apply for a travel grant throughout the year after receiving an internship placement. Apply the travel grant by filling in a travel grant application. You must attach a Personal Study Plan for Internship, a curriculum vitae (CV) and a travel cost estimation to the application. Applications with attachments are delivered to career services. The student is informed of the decision by e-mail. On the basis of a positive decision, a travel grant agreement is made.The travel grant is paid in the end of the following month after the decision has been made. The travel grant must be used for the purpose mentioned in the application during the time indicated in the application. The student must deliver a copy of the certificate of employment or an internship report as well as travel receipts within two months after the end of the traineeship to harjoittelu(at)

Before you apply for a travel grant, you may want to inquire about the possibility of obtaining an Erasmus grant.

Application forms


For further information


Amanuensis Katri Pöntinen
Tel. 029 449 8443

Specialist Sunna Vainiomaa
Tel. 029 449 8173

Was this helpful?