Requirements for Internship Voucher
Requirements for receiving an internship voucher
- The student is an attending basic degree student in the University of Vaasa.
- The student has at least 160 credits in the study register during the time of application or the student is studying in a Master's degree programme.
- If a student completes only an upper university degree at the University of Vaasa, she/he must have completed at least 20 credits.
- The student completes their Master's degree after the internship.
- The student commits to include the internship as part of their degree.
- The student has not used an internship voucher before.
Conditions that improve the receiving of an internship voucher:
- The student has completed a Bachelor’s degree or a degree comparable to a Bachelor's degree.
- The need for an internship voucher (the employer requires an internship voucher, the application process for internship placement is already ongoing)
- The student's need for work experience according to their career plan or in their field of study.
- The student has not received a grant for subsidised internship or used an internship voucher earlier in the University of Vaasa.
Requirements for using an internship voucher
- The internship voucher cannot be used for an internship whose employment relationship has already started.
- The student must notify career services of the internship position he/she has received before the internship begins.
- The internship begins during the year in which the internship voucher is granted.
- The internship period lasts a minimum of 3 months, or in part-time work a period within which the working hours are equal to 3 months full-time work.
- The student commits to include the internship as a part of the degree and does not graduate during internship.
- The teacher responsible for internships has accepted the internship as a part of the degree.
- The student does not receive Erasmus grant or a grant from the Finnish National Agency for Education for the internship.
- The work tasks correspond with the student's career plan.
- The internship is a new job or includes new tasks for the intern.
- The internship takes place in a private, public or third sector organisation in Finland or a Finnish public sector organisation abroad (e.g. Finnish embassy).
- The employer pays the intern a salary that meets the terms of employment in Finland according to Kela.
- The intern has an appointed supervisor at the workplace who is responsible for instructing the intern throughout the internship.
Instructions for the students who have the internship voucher
NB! These instructions apply only for students who have the internship voucher.
An internship agreement is made upon concluding that the internship can be subsidised by the university in order financially suopport the intern (the internship voucher is applicable). It is recommended that, in addition to the internship agreement, the intern and employer also make an employment contract between each other or that a certificate of appointment is given to the intern.
When the student has received an internship placement to which the student wishes to use the internship voucher, the student must notify this to the career services. An agreement is made for the internship, which is signed by the intern, the employer and a representative of the University of Vaasa. Documents are made and signed electronically.
According to the agreement, in order to guarantee a successful internship, the intern must have an appointed supervisor at the workplace who is responsible for instructing the intern into the work and the working environment. Appointing a supervisor ensures that the intern gets to do work that is meaningful and useful and will not be left to work without guidance. The intern has to receive information from the supervisor about the activities of the unit, current issues and interesting events that are related to the work.
For more information about internship contact harjoittelu(at)uwasa.fi