Join our community
An inspiring and thriving community
Would you like to join our close-knit and inspiring community and work with international research and development projects?
Would you like to join an organisation where you can thrive?
We offer you a career opportunity in an internationally renowned and multifaceted community. Our values—courage, community and responsibility—guide us in our everyday life and provides us with a foundation for our common well-being, today and in the future.
It is important for us to improve work, working conditions and the spirit of the university as a whole.
We invest in our employees' occupational well-being by offering fitness and culture vouchers, actions to support physical and mental well-being, and opportunities to participate in training and competence development. Flexible working time arrangements contribute to work-life balance. Personnel well-being is monitored with the help of a regular well-being survey.
University employees are offered preventive occupational health care as well as extensive medical care. Health care is the responsibility of Pihlajalinna, which has appointed us an occupational health care nurse and a physician.
By the sea but close to the city centre
Do you long for lunch at the pier by the sea?
Our university is located in Palosaari, close to the city centre. Our campus is home to about 900 employees and about 10,000 students from three educational institutions.
All university functions are located on the same campus within a walking distance. You will find a lot of meeting places and contemporary work facilities for researchers, staff and students.
Get to know your colleagues
Assistant Professor in Accounting and Finance Anupam Dutta enjoys working in the friendly environment of the University of Vaasa. He has been experiencing Vaasa since 2012 and completed his PhD in 2015.
- Though it’s a small town, I enjoy living here because of its simplicity. People here are also very nice and welcoming. I do enjoy working here because such an encouraging atmosphere assists me in performing my academic work successfully.
During his doctoral research, Dutta has proposed a long-term event study methodology which can be used to investigate how stock prices react following a corporate event. Over the last few years, Dutta has been publishing in top-tier journals and plans to prolong his career in the university. Currently, he is conducting research in the field of energy finance and has many ongoing projects.
- All members in my research group are highly motivated to research. They are very experienced in what they do. As a researcher, I appreciate the freedom of exploring different areas of my research field. In the University of Vaasa, I also feel free to do multidisciplinary research. This is the best part of being a researcher.
Passion for research work
Christoph Demmke has been appointed Professor in Public Management at the University of Vaasa. Demmke, who comes to Vaasa from Berlin, has a vast network and is a distinguished researcher who focuses on public management, good governance and ethical issues. He brings international experience and strong research expertise to the University of Vaasa, especially in comparative research in public management.
The professorship in Vaasa attracted him because it was a rare job opening at the interface between public management and ethics.
– It really matched my interest and skills. I have always preferred small and fine universities. It seems that the University of Vaasa enjoys a very good reputation.
HR Excellence in Research
The University of Vaasa was awarded the HR Excellence in Research symbol in recognition of our development work and our commitment to the European Commission's principles on recruiting researchers and safeguarding good working conditions. The development work is proceeding in phases in line with an action plan and regular evaluations. More information: HR Excellence in Research
Business Finland – Why work in Finland?
An important source of information that can help you in pursuing job opportunities in Finland is Business Finland. Here you can find up-to-date information about everything you need to know before you come to Finland. Read more
Finland loves talent from every corner of the world. We support professionals who want to work in Finland with visa and work permit applications, startup funding and advice for setting up a business. Bring your passion and expertise to Finland and discover why this is a great place to pursue your career and to build a life rich in new experiences and opportunities.
- Finland, the happiest country in the world (UN World Happiness Report 2019)
- The most employee-friendly working hours (European Company Survey)
- The greenest country in the world (Yale University)
- 3rd in Global Gender Gap Report 2017 (World Economic Forum)
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 1st in skill development at work (European Working Conditions Survey)