Background: Ph.D. (1999, University of Vaasa). Since 1984 I have worked in various positions in University of Vaasa and became university lecturer in 2007. During my university career I have supervised over 100 master thesis in Economics.
- Introduction to Economics (with professor Panu Kalmi, Macroeconomics Part, first year students, in Finnish)
- Macroeconomics I (bachelor level, in Finnish)
- International Monetary Economics (bachelor level, in Finnish)
- International Trade Theory (bachelor level, in Finnish)
- Introduction to Empirical Research in Economics (with professor Panu Kalmi, bachelor level, in Finnish)
- Supervision of bachelor and master thesis
My research interests consist of applied macro, international and financial economics. Most of my research is empirical.
- Petri Kuosmanen, Jaana Rahko & Juuso Vataja (2019). Predictive Ability of Financial Variables in Changing Economic Circumstances. North American Journal of Economics and Finance 47: 37-47.
- Petri Kuosmanen & Juuso Vataja (2019). Time-varying Predictive Content of Financial Variables in Forecasting GDP Growth in the G-7 Countries. Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance 71: 211-222.
- Juha Junttila & Juuso Vataja (2018). Economic Policy Uncertainty Effects for Forecasting Future Real Economic Activity. Economic Systems 42:4, 569-583.
- Petri Kuosmanen & Juuso Vataja (2017). The Return of Financial Variables in Forecasting GDP Growth in the G-7. Economic Change and Restructuring 50: 259-277.
- Petri Kuosmanen, Nasib Nalbusi & Juuso Vataja (2015).Financial variables and economic activity in the Nordic countries. International Review of Economics & Finance Volume 37, May 2015, Pages 368-379.
- Petri Kuosmanen & Juuso Vataja (2014). Predicting Economic Activity with Financial Market Data in a Small Open Economy: Revisiting Stylished Facts during Economic Turbulence. International Symposia in Economic Theory and Econometrics. Emerald Publishing. (217-234)
- Petri Kuosmanen & Juuso Vataja (2014). Forecasting GDP Growth with Financial Market Data in Finland: Revisiting Stylized Facts in a Small Open Economy during the Financial Crisis. Review of Financial Economics 23:2, 90-97.
- Petri Kuosmanen & Juuso Vataja (2011). The Role of Stock Markets vs. the Term Spread in Forecasting Macrovariables in Finland. Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance 51, 124-132.
- Seppo Pynnönen & Juuso Vataja (2002). Bootstrap Testing for Cointegration of International Commodity Prices. Applied Economics 34: 5, 637-647.
- On the Interdependence of Finnish and Swedish Newsprint Prices (2001). Finnish Economic Papers 14: 2, 120-130.
- Should the Law of One Price be Pushed Away? Evidence from International Commodity Markets (2000). Open Economies Review 11: 4, 399-415.