Want to become an international tutor?
International Tutors are the closest link to the Finnish society for the foreign students. You will gain valuable experiences and a long lasting and global network of friends. We are looking for social, creative people who can make international students feel like home even before arriving at the University of Vaasa.
Each autumn there are about 100 new exchange students arriving in Vaasa. In addition, there are approximately 80 exchange students who arrive in the spring semester. Many people might be leaving their home country for the first time, so as an international tutor you have a significant influence on students’ experiences in Vaasa.
International tutors main responsibilities are:
- Contacting the students prior to their arrival
- Meeting them during official arrival day
- Guiding the students during the orientation week
- Assisting students in practical matters during their stay
- Organising events with other tutors
- Keeping in touch with tutees throughout their stay
Find details of International Tutor's Tasks here
Examples of practical matter that tutors assist with are: help the students to open up a bank account and to get a Finnish mobile phone connection, if necessary, and offer help with rental agreement, grocery shopping and other matters related to living in Vaasa and Finland.
The tutor application period is open twice each year: tutors are recruited for both autumn and spring semesters. If you are chosen to be a tutor, we allocate you a group of international students.
The semester is full of international events, big and small. As an international tutor you have the unique opportunity to become part of the organising team and enjoy the company of new students and fellow tutors. In addition, you can plan activities for your own group and get to know them better.
All international tutors who have completed their tasks will be given certificate of the tutoring and 3 ECTS.
Fill out the Tutor Application form and be our team member!
Important dates for the tutor recruitment Autumn 2023
- Application deadline: 29.10.2023
- Tutor interviews: week 45
- Tutor training: week 48 (dates to be informed later)
- Tutor training 2nd session: 02.01.2024
- Official arrival day: 03.01.2024
- Orientation days: 04.&05.01.2024
During my own exchange I've realised how good care UVA takes of our exchange students and I'm proud to have been a part of that.”
- International Tutor in academic year 2018
Follow us on social media