Equality is a basic right that ensures non-discrimination and equal opportunities to all human beings regardless of sex, ethnic origin, language, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or other personal characteristics.
In an equal studying and working community, everyone has the opportunity to act without discrimination based on sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression or other personal characteristics. Authorities, education providers and employers must have a plan for the necessary measures to promote equality.
The University of Vaasa equality plan covers the measures needed to promote gender equality as well as the statutory obligations stated in the non-discrimination act. The central goal of the university equality plan is to reinforce an equality-positive atmosphere and to effectively communicate equality matters to the students and personnel of the university. The University of Vaasa Equality Work Group is updating the University of Vaasa equality plan.
The Big Heart award
The Big Heart award may be given to a person or a group that has promoted equality in the university community, for example:
- by treating all colleagues, students and everyone else as individuals during everyday activities and encounters
- by taking others into consideration during conversations and interactions e.g. through the choice of language and topic, thereby ensuring that everyone has the opportunity to join in and feels welcome as a member of the university community.
Any member of the university community may nominate a member of the university community or a person or group from outside the community whose activities are closely tied to the University of Vaasa as recipient of the award. Nominations for the award are submitted to the equality work group, which will process the nominations and propose an award winner to the rector.
The Big Heart award 2023 was presented 14th February at Rector’s Valentine’s Day Reception. This year we exceptionally gave out two awards. The Big Heart award 2023 winners are the Dean of the School of Marketing and Communication, Arto Rajala and the Specialist in Student Interests for The Student Union of the University of Vaasa, Elli Uusi-Kokko
The Big Heart award was given the first time in December 2018, when the award was given to Professor Seppo Niemi. The next award was given to the Student Union of the University of Vaasa on Valentine's Day 2020 and in 2021 University lecturer Sirpa Heino was awarded with the Big Heart award.
DocumentEquality Glossary - PDF (27 KB)
- Act on Equality between Women and Men
- Non-discrimination Act
- National Non-Discrimination and Equality Tribunal of Finland
- Ombudsman for Equality
- Equality.fi website
- Early support model (intranet Messi)
- Guidelines and Regulations Concerning Studying and Degrees
- Guidelines for situations of inappropriate treatment and harassment relating to studying
- Accessible studying
Occupational Safety Manager Ilpo Ojala, Equality Representative Sannakaisa Holmlund, Occupational Safety and Health Representative Anne-Mari Latva, Labour Protection Manager Elina Kaunismäki
Student Union harassment contact person